Sunday, July 14, 2013

Chantilly Show - Part 1 (Baseball)

I attended the Chantilly VA cardshow this past weekend.  For those not familiar with the show, it is generally held every October, April and July in suburban Washington, DC and features approximately 250 dealers and an "A" list of autograph guests.

After a disappointing turnout last October (probably due in part to the National being in Baltimore last August) the show in April was very heavily attended.  Like the April show, attendance on Saturday appeared robust.

I planned to pick up some supplies and to visit a dealer who always has binders of vintage cards from all 4 sports in decent condition for a reasonable price.  My goal for the show was to pick up a Luzinski rookie and a Ted Simmons rookie from the 71 Topps set.

Mission accomplished!

While browsing the 71 Topps binder, I decided to fill a few more Phillies needs - one guy almost always associated with the Phillies, and three guys typically not.



While still at this dealers table, I heard Steve Carlton's name announced at the autograph pavilion, so I pulled up a chair and started flipping through the 1974 binder.


I found a nice Carlton and a Dave Cash, and while I was flipping through, I found a nice Dave Parker rookie card - 



I picked up some basketball as well (which I will detail in a separate post), and as I was leaving, I looked down at a discount box in front of me and sitting on top (seemingly looking up at me) was a Mike Schmidt disc, which the dealer through in for free (seeing as Mike was looking up at me!). 


The show was a lot of fun...I'll post the remainder of my report later....




No comments:

Post a Comment