Sunday, July 14, 2013

Part 2 of the Chantilly Show Report (Baseball, Basketball and Football)

Continuing from my prior report of the Chantilly Show [Chantilly Show - Part 1], I was attending in part to pick up a few 78/79 Basketball cards (specifically George McGinnis and Darryl Dawkins) -

 After snagging these, I continued to flip through the 78/79 binder.  In my view, 70's basketball is a tremendous value (common/semi star cards can be easily had for 35 cents, and stars in most cases for a buck or two).

I decided to pick up a few Sixers (before they were Sixers) -


While the sharpness of the photography and the printing technology are not what they are today, the action depicted in these cards is incredible.  Moses Malone versus Wes Unseld while Elvin Hayes looks on - seriously!!??

 Seeing Unseld on the Moses card, I had to have Wes's card as well (and it is a classic).  I thought I would throw the Ice Man as well (since it was dirt cheap).


I finally pried myself away from this dealer's table and stumbled into another dealers dollar box, where there was an assortment of 70's football, baseball and basketball.   

First I scored a 1978 Topps card of the Polish Rifle and a 79 card of his favorite target.  

Next, I found a cool Stop and Go 3D card of Carmichael that I had never seen before - 


 Then I found some additional Luzinski cards  -

And some 76 league leader cards - 


Finally - I found what was my favorite purchase from the show - 

A card that features both Artis Glimore and Marvin "Bad News" Barnes on the same card.  It's hard to believe that they trailed Swen Nater (WHOOOOOO???) in rebounds - really...Swen Nater???  Ahhhh the ABA!!




1 comment: